Join the Saddleworth Palestine Women’s Scholarship Fund Sponsored Walk – Sunday 10 May 2015
We are walking 6.5 miles (10.5km) from Marsden to Uppermill taking time to stop, enjoy the surroundings and share some short poems.
The walk is to raise money to enable women in Gaza to access higher education. This is particularly important following the devastation of the bombardment of last summer. We walk in peace and solidarity with Palestinians in Gaza who are unable to freely leave ‘the Strip’, an area of land that is just 25 miles long (45kms) and 6 miles wide (10km).
- The walk starts at 10.45am from Marsden Train Station (train from Manchester Victoria – 10.12, from Greenfield – 10.37) or car park near the station, HD7 6DH.
- The walk ends at 7 Saddleworth Fold, Uppermill, OL3 6EQ at 3/3.30 pm where you are welcome to join us even if you are not able to take part in the walk. There will be tea, cakes and poems. Please park on Church Road as Saddleworth Fold has limited parking.
- The end of the walk is a mile away from Greenfield Station – lifts will be available to help people return to their cars at Greenfield or Marsden.
You can help us raise funds by:
- Getting family and friends to sponsor you or give a donation (see form attached);
- Sponsoring us to do the walk (if you are not able to join us);
- Taking out a monthly Standing Order for £5, £10 or another amount (details below).
Description of the walk:
Our walk will take in a variety of landscapes reflecting the essential character of the Marsden and Saddleworth moors, canals, railways and the industrial heritage of the mill towns. It also takes in the first of Simon Armitage’s ‘Stanza Stone’ poems, intriguingly called ‘Snow’. There is an ascent from Marsden and descent into Diggle, passing through small hamlets down to the canal.
- There are hills, muddy uneven ground and we will be walking in some parts on small roads and crossing one major road at the beginning of the walk;
- Please wear sturdy shoes, appropriate clothing and bring a packed lunch and drinks;
- Those joining us do so at their own risk.
We hope you can join us.
Please confirm your participation in the walk and/or post-walk refreshments by emailing [email protected] or phone 07975 908409 for more information.